Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Missing the Gray Hairs

It's really cute. My husband, with blond hair that I would love on me but hate on him (envy is a bad thing), is just starting to gray. You almost can't tell, unless the light shines on it just perfectly, because his hair is so light.

I started graying in my very early thirties, against very dark hair, so I have been waiting for him to finally join me - he is almost 52.

I think he might be one of those men who are blond one day, and then, all of a sudden, you notice he has this great gray/white mane, that just snuck up when you weren't looking - because it will just blend in until he's all done.

I wonder how he'll look. I wonder if I'll be alive to find out. How can something as simple as a few gray hairs bring such sadness? 

It's knowing there is a future I will be missing. With my husband, I thought I would be missing empty nest vacations, dinners for two at a clean dining room table. Holiday visits, when the kids would come over with their kids.

And, it will be all these things. I just didn't know I would miss seeing his hair turn gray. I didn't know how sad I would be to miss that little thing. I'm not sure how to grieve "gray hair".

Gray hair is a clock - it keeps the time, shows where the past is becoming the future. Not on a wall, not on a piece of jewelry, but on a person. Shows how the future is coming, and I may not be here for it.

We all die. I know there are many things I will miss. But, it is oh so hard, when I know what those things are, that I will miss. And, when I think I have grieved for all the things I surely will miss, I am surprised to find, there are even more things.

Simple things, like a few gray hairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment