Thursday, June 14, 2012

It Seemed So Simple - part 2

I had such good intentions.  I really did.  The problem is, I am naive.  I feel good, right now.  I have high energy, low nausea, bearable pain (some of the time).  I have free time.

And so, I thought I would do something beneficial, while I could.  My first thought was a public service announcement about metastatic breast cancer (which I WILL do!).  Then, I thought, maybe, I could get a full documentary done (apx $100, 000 - so, maybe not).  Then, I thought I would host a fund raiser, which morphed into thoughts of a non-profit organization.  And, I have spent the last two weeks working toward that goal, sometimes with great hope, and sometimes with great discouragement.

I started with a phone call to a local hotel to see about reserving a room for October 13, 2012.  As October 13th is National Metastatic Breast Cancer Remembrance Day, it is the perfect date for the fundraiser.  The catering rep gave me a price of $26.28 per person.  That means, I must charge $27.00 per person.  I'm not sure about the rest of the population, but I do know that I can not afford that.  Especially, with a family of five.  Well, six, if you count my (almost) son-in law.  My older brother can not afford his family of four.  My younger brother can not afford his family of four.  So, right off the bat, I have to comp something like 10 people at $27.00 each, because, of course, I want my family there.

I have to make a $500 deposit to reserve the date.  The rep said she would split that in 1/2 and allow me to pay $250 now, and $250 later.  Now, in my case, that involves using money from my last paycheck of the school year (which pays my bills during the summer, until I receive my first paycheck of the next school year, in October).  On a yearly basis, my husband must pitch in to pay my "summer" bills, so you can see what a frightening prospect this is.

Now, if I use my summer money to put down $250, and ten paying guests reply to my invitation, I can pay myself back.  If I get twenty paying guests, I can put down the rest of the deposit.  If not, I can cancel, without paying the second $250, but would then, have to refund my guests, and I would simply lose the original 1/2 deposit of $250.  I'm pretty sure I know twenty people who love me enough to spend $27 to have breakfast with me (and for me).  But, can I get the 300 the room holds?  Can I even get enough to make a fundraiser actually raise funds?  When I know I will not be able to pay my bills for two entire months, is it worth it, to risk my money?

Before I can legally host a fundraiser, I have to incorporate as a non-profit organization (It Seemed So Easy - part 3).  I can not ask for any corporate donations (for prizes and such), or free services (photographer, perhaps) until I am a recognized non-profit organization.

I can not have a raffle, because that is considered gaming (gambling).  I can have door prizes (which I can solicit, if I incorporate, or must buy, if I don't), so long as nobody pays.  If I have to purchase my door prizes, and can not charge for raffle tickets, that eats into the profits I don't even know I will make.

Did you know....?  Before I can host a fund raiser, I have to apply for a permit?  That is $20 more (on top of  deposit, incorporation fee - in part 3, and misc costs).

So, I'm thinking....

I can pay the 1/2 deposit.  Send out invitations to friends and family, with the request that they pass the invitation along to their friends.  Hopefully, get enough to pay the full deposit and even fill the room.  Not knowing, but hoping.  I can buy a few door prizes (spending money I don't know I'll make) to sweeten the deal, so to speak, make my fundraiser worth attending.  And then, I can ask my guests to make separate donations, based upon their personal financial positions.  I can then, use the raised funds to pay all my incorporation costs.

The problems with this plan are these:  If I don't become tax exempt first, donations are not tax deductible, which I assume will affect donation amounts.  If I don't make enough to incorporate, do I refund the money?  How can I ask for money for a specific purpose, and then not use it as such - which by the way, is "misleading" and illegal.  What if I don't get enough guests, and basically end out having dinner with twenty of my closest friends and family (well, actually it would have to be thirty to cover my freebie guests), and it is costing them $27 per person to benefit nothing?

So, now I'm thinking....

What am I thinking?!


No comments:

Post a Comment